Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #14
St. Michael’s Catholic Church
St. Michael’s began as a small mission under the auspices of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in 1908. First called Our Lady of Good Council, it was renamed when St. Michael’s when it became a parish in 1917. The fishing families of Point Cadet raised funds to build this church, which then stood in the midst of seafood factories. Designed by architect James T. Canizaro and dedicated in August, 1964, St. Michael’s is known as the “Fishermen’s Church.” The theme is carried out by the scalloped seashell-shaped roof, the stained-glass windows, and the repeated motif of fish, water, and nets throughout the church. The church was heavily damaged, but withstood the ravishes of Hurricanes Camille and Katrina.
Go back to Highway 90 and continue east for one tenth of a mile and get into the left turn lane at the at the traffic signal. Turn left (north) onto Myrtle Street and go one block to the intersection of Myrtle and First Street. Turn right (east) onto First Street. First Street dead-ends at the entrance to the grounds of the Biloxi Maritime and Seafood Museum, which stands to the right.