Old Brick House (The Rodgers House)
The Rodgers House stands on land that was obtained in 1874 as a Spanish Land Grant by early French settler Jean Baptist Carquote (?-1822). William Rodgers of New Orleans built the house circa 1843. John L. Henley (1820-1896) purchased the home in 1872. Henley had been active in the defense of Biloxi during the Civil War, and he served as the city’s mayor from 1866 to 1868. After a series of owners, various Biloxi garden clubs raised restoration funds during the 1950s. The architecture represents a mingling of French Colonial and American tradition. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is currently owned and operated by the city of Biloxi as an event venue.
To see Bayou Auguste, drive past the Old Brick House and immediately turn right (south) onto Braun Street. Travel three tenths of a mile to the small bridge that crosses the bayou. The bayou can be seen from the bridge. Continue south to the southeast corner of Braun and Bradford Street where a large sign tells about the Bayou Auguste Greenway project.