Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cathedral
The late Gothic Revival architecture is evident on the exterior and abounds in the interior of the cathedral, which was originally built as a parish church in 1902. This edifice replaced an 1870 church that burned in Biloxi’s disastrous fire in 1900. German architect Tomas Bruni designed the imposing structure that has a vaulted interior, numerous arches, naves, buttresses, Italian pearl marble altars, and stained glass windows from Germany. The square tower houses the original 1902 four-sided clock, which was electrified in 1959. The church became a cathedral when the Diocese of Biloxi was created in 1977.
Continue east on Howard Avenue. The corner of Howard Avenue and Reynoir Street is the entrance into the heart of downtown Biloxi. Continue east on Howard through downtown. The streets that intersect Howard within the business district are on the Historic Downtown Walking Tour. Park and read the historical marker on the left at the entrance of downtown.