Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #27
Our Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church and School
The Parish of Our Mother Of Sorrows formed in 1914 and was administered by the Josephite Order of Priests, who devoted themselves to the needs of African-American Catholics. This eclectic architectural style church was built that same year. In 1916 the Parish opened an elementary school on Reynoir Street just north of Division. The Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament operated the school and added high school classes as they could. In 1941 a new two-storied school opened on the north side of the street. After the desegregation of schools in 1961, the building became a parish hall.
Continue east Division Street for one-tenth of a mile to 670 Division Street. The medical office of the late Dr. Gilbert Mason is on the north side of the street.