Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #9
Glennan & Guice Parks
Glennan Park is named for a former Biloxi mayor, Edward Glennan, who donated this land for a park during the early 20th century. Guice Park is named for William Lee Guice, Jr., who lost his life in World War II. The parks feature a number of monuments and memorials that honor the patriotism and the sacrifices of Biloxi citizens while defending our freedom.
World War II monument
This monument was created with funds donated by William Lee and Lee Dicks Guice, the parents of Lt. William Lee Guice, Jr., who lost his life during the first naval battle of Guadalcanal (also known as the Battle of Savoy Island). The Guices’ other two sons, Marine Captain Stephen L. and Marine Sergeant Jacob D. Guice, also served in the military, but survived the war. The monument represents the way that Mr. and Mrs. Guice chose to honor those Biloxians who sacrificed their lives during World War I and World War II.
Military Order of the Purple Heart
This monument was the conception of PFC George Higginbotham, a retired World War II veteran, who wished to honor the local recipients of the Purple Heart (awarded to those wounded in combat). He donated most of the funds, and he personally oversaw the construction of the monument. PFC Higginbotham served in the Marine Corps and suffered wounds during the invasion of Okinawa in 1945. The lives of 7,500 marines were lost while capturing the Island.
Here stands the superstructure of the 608 foot, 10,000 ton U. S. S. Biloxi that was launched on February 23, 1943. Nicknamed the “Busy Bee” by her crew, she was the recipient of nine battle stars, and she completed one of the longest continuous tours of combat than any other U. S. warship. The Biloxi took part in every major operation in the Pacific. After surviving four Kamikaze attacks (one a direct hit), and the later discovery of an unexploded 1,000 bomb below deck, she was dubbed the “Double Lucky.” The Biloxi was one of the first ships to liberate allied POWs from Nagasaki. The Biloxi was decommissioned in 1946 and sold for scrap metal in 1962.
French Colonial Cannon
These four cannons mounted in concrete are most likely the earliest known artifacts of a Mississippi Coast hurricane. They were salvaged in 1892 by an oyster tonger, who found the wreck of an old ship deeply imbedded in the mud in Biloxi Bay. Historians believe that the wreck was the remains of a French store ship that sank during the Hurricane of 1722. Also found were coins, parts of clothing, and other artifacts of that era.
Continue eastward on Highway 90. Go two tenths of a mile and turn left (north) onto Bellman Street. A bent American Flag on the left marks the Hurricane Camille Memorial. The Ring-in-the-Oak is the second large oak tree closest to Highway 90. Examine the horizontal branch to locate the ring.