Historic Biloxi Walking Tour – Stop #4
Scherer House  – Also known as the Old Spanish House (c. 1840) (Gallery 782 Art Co-Op)

John Scherer purchased the property in 1847 and lived here until 1894. The house is unusual in that it is a two-storied antebellum brick structure with early stucco being scored to resemble ashlar masonry. The four bay front with doors in the central two bays, was later to become a standard feature for local vernacular house types. The interior end chimneys also add to its significance. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

➵ Continue walking westward on Water Street. The next stop is just several steps to the left