Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #13
The eastern extremity of the Biloxi peninsula is called Point Cadet, which locals refer to as “the Point.” The word “cadet” is French for Junior or “son of.” The name is derived from the first landowner, Jacques Mathurin Ladner (1750-1832), who was a cadet. There is archeological evidence that pre-historic and historic Native Americans once occupied the area. The Point was sparsely populated until the late 19th century development of Biloxi’s seafood industry. Casinos stand where some of the earliest seafood canneries and shipyards were located. Here is where the ethnic groups, Croatian, Polish, Acadian French, and later Vietnamese first settled to work in the industry. Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Katrina in 2005 devastated the Point, which has not yet recovered.
Continue eastward on Highway 90 for five tenths of a mile and move into the left hand turn lane at Cedar Street. Turn left (north) onto Cedar. St. Michael’s Catholic Church is on the right. The church sponsors the annual Blessing of the Fleet celebration.