Historic Biloxi Walking Tour – Stop #19
Original U.S. Post Office & Customs House (c. 1905-1908) (City Hall)

Located at 140 Lameuse Street is Biloxi City Hall. This Neoclassical Revival building was originally the Biloxi Federal Building, housing a U. S. Post Office, court house, and customs house. The brick building is faced with a fine grayish white marble. The main façade is dominated by a grand hexastyle portico of a streamlined Corinthian order, supported on an arcade. The arched motif is carried around the building by arched windows and fanlights over the doors. Five tall windows behind the portico on the second floor are full length and are capped by classical pediments. A large Palladian window is the main feature of the north wall. Inside are marble floors and original woodwork. The finely detailed original second floor court room serves today as the City Council chamber.

➵ From the front of City Hall go westward on Jackson Street for a half-block to the next stop.