Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #16
On August 5, 1896, the Biloxi Board of Aldermen passed Ordinance Nine, which changed the name of Pass Christian-Point Cadet Road to Howard Avenue only within the Biloxi city limits at that time. The new name was to honor the philanthropic Charles T. Howard family of New Orleans, who were benefactors to Biloxi. The Howards maintained a summer home on the Biloxi beachfront (destroyed by hurricane Camille), and donated properties and monies for schools, a church, and a hospital. Charles’ son, Harry T. Howard, served as Biloxi’s mayor from 1888 to1890 and from 1897 to1899.
Turn left (west) onto Howard Avenue. On the north side of the street is the clubhouse of the Fleur-de-Lis Society, also known as the French Club, at 182 E. Howard Avenue.