Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #17
Fleur de Lis Society (French Club)
This clubhouse replaced the one that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The Fleur de Lis Society was chartered in 1934 by the Acadian French, who began migrating from southwest Louisiana to work in Biloxi’s seafood industry in 1914. As the Society was formed during the Great Depression, when many of the fishing families could not afford a funeral, part of the member’s dues were invested for that purpose. The clubhouse provided a place for the Acadians (whom some call Cajuns) to socialize and to perpetuate their French foods, traditions, and language.
Continue west on Howard Avenue for two tenths of a mile to the intersection of Howard Avenue and Maple Street. Turn right (north) onto Maple and the Croatian American Cultural Center, also known as the Slavonian Lodge, at 159 Maple Street on the left.