Essence of Biloxi Driving and Bicycling Trail – Stop #38
Biloxi National Cemetery
The land that the Biloxi National Cemetery, the Veterans Medical Center, and Hiller Park occupies is part of the 377-acre tract of the Naval Reserve, which the United States Congress deeded to the city of Biloxi in 1906.
The Biloxi National Cemetery, established in 1934, is located on the grounds of the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. From 1934 to 1973, the cemetery was restricted to those veterans who died in the adjoining medical center. The 1973 National Cemetery Act opened the cemetery for all honorably discharged veterans and their dependents and for active duty personnel and their dependents, regardless of their place of residence. The facility became the Biloxi National Cemetery at that time. Since its establishment, the cemetery has more than doubled in size. Notable veterans interred here are Col. Ira C. Welborn (Spanish American War) and two unknown soldiers of the Mexican War, who were initially buried in Pascagoula, Mississippi. In 1989 they were disinterred and laid to rest here with full military honors.
Return to Pass Road and turn right (west) and drive two tenths of mile to Hiller Drive. A small bronze park sign on the right indicates Hiller Park. Turn right (north) onto Hiller. The road winds through a small neighborhood before it enters Hiller Park.